Since graduating from Creighton Law School in 1984, Randy Shanks has focused his law practice on protecting the rights of people who have been seriously injured and harmed by the wrongful acts of others, corporations and insurance companies.
Randy Shanks has represented individuals in all forms of personal injury and wrongful death litigation. His practice areas are motor vehicle accidents, medical malpractice, nursing home neglect, and worker's compensation cases.
On behalf of his clients, Randy Shanks has obtained verdicts and settlements that total in the millions of dollars.
Randy Shanks is past President of the Iowa Academy of Trial Attorneys (2010-11), a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers where fellowship is extended only by invitation to those experienced trial lawyers who have mastered the art of advocacy and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, civility and collegiality. Randy also is a member of the American and Iowa Associations for Justice.
Because our system of justice is adversarial in nature, the outcome of your case is often determined by the advocacy skills of your lawyer. When your future is at stake, EXPERIENCE MATTERS!
- $15 million dollar verdict against IBP in favor of Kevin Wilson based upon IBP’s improper conduct in handling Mr. Wilson’s worker’s compensation case. See Wilson v. IBP & Diane Arndt, Pottawattamie County Law No. 6400, decided December 2, 1994.
- $1.6 million dollar verdict against the City of Council Bluffs and its police officer in favor of Richard Bryant for personal injuries sustained by Mr. Bryant in a motor vehicle collision. See Bryant v. City of Council Bluffs & Patricia Kay Higgins, Pottawattamie County Law No. 73514, decided December 4, 1998.
- $1.1 million dollar verdict against Super 8 Motel in favor of Duane Bender for personal injuries sustained by Mr. Bender in a fall on the motel’s premises. See Bender v. Wise Motels, Inc. d/b/a Super 8 Motel, Pottawattamie County Law No. 080675, decided January 27, 2003.
- $400,000.00 verdict in favor of union workers against the owner of Titan Tire Company in Des Moines, Iowa based upon the owner’s defamatory remarks about the Plaintiffs. See Brummett, et al v. Maurice Taylor, Jr., U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa No. 4:02-cv-10575, decided December 12, 2007.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Worker's Compensation
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Iowa, 1984
- Nebraska, 1984
- U.S. District Court District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, Nebraska
- J.D. - 1984
- Honors: Moot Court, President
- Honors: Trial Advocacy Award
- South Western Community College
- A.A. - 1979
- Midland College, Fremont, Nebraska
- B.A. - 1981
- Honors: Blue Key National Honor Society
- Honors: President of Men's Dorm
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: History
- Robinson v. Allied Prop. & Cas. Ins. Co., 803 N.W.2d 128 (Iowa App. 2011)
- Jones v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co., 760 N.W.2d 186 (Iowa 2008)
- Mlynarik v. Bergantzel, 675 N.W.2d 584 (Iowa 2004)
- Bergantzel v. Mlynarik, 619 N.W.2d 309 (Iowa 2000)
- Wilson v. IBP, 589 N.W.2d 729 (Iowa 1999)
- Gentry v. Wise, 537 N.W.2d 732 (Iowa 1995)
- Jamieson v. Harrison, 532 N.W.2d 779 (Iowa 1995)
- Vachon v. Broadlawns Medical Foundation, 490 N.W.2d 820 (Iowa 1992)
- Meck v. Iowa Power & Light Co., 469 N.W.2d 274 (Iowa App. 1991)
- Wilson v. IBP & Diane Arndt, Pottawattamie County Law No. 6400, December 2 (1994)
- Bryant v. City of Council Bluffs & Patricia Kay Higgins, Pottawattamie County Law No. 73514, December 4 (1998)
- Bender v. Wise Motels, Inc. d/b/a Super 8 Motel, Pottawattamie County Law No. 080675, January 27 (2003)
- Brummett, et al v. Maurice Taylor, Jr., U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa No. 4:02-cv-10575, December 12 (2007)
Honors and Awards
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers, President, 2010 - 2011
- Iowa Academy of Trail Lawyers
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- AAJ: Nursing Home Section (FELA)
- Iowa Association for Justice
- Nebraska Bar Association
- Iowa Bar Association
- Iowa Jury Instructions Committee, Member
- Iowa Civil Justice Supreme Court Task Force, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- YMCA Board of Directors, Board Chair, 2010 - 2011
- March of Dimes Board of Directors (Past)
- Leadership Council Bluffs (1989 Class)
- Optimist, Member
- Lewis Central Booster Club
- Iowa High School Mock Trial Coach, 2001 - 2005
- Board President, YMCA, 2011 - 2013
- YMCA Board Member, 2002 - 2011